Bengals fans watch Carson stumble in Raiders’ uniform

By Jared Bergstrom, Sports Editor

Last weekend’s games offered a great opportunity to evaluate whether or not the various NFL teams made good trades.

The Oakland Raiders called for Carson Palmer against the Kansas City Chiefs because starting quarterback Kyle Boller went 7 of 14 for 61 yards and threw 3 interceptions (for a quarterback rating of a whopping 22.3). To add insult to injury, the coaches pulled Boller from the game and put in Palmer, who they had obtained from the Cincinnati Bengals a week before.

But Palmer didn’t do too much better than Boller had. Palmer went 8 of 21 for 116 yards with 3 interceptions and a rating of 17.3. The Raiders definitely made a bad trade. The Bengals were smart to get rid of Palmer because if they hadn’t, they would have been paying him to sit on their bench. At least now they can enjoy watching how badly he’ll do the rest of the year.

The St. Louis Rams’ new wide receiver, Brandon Lloyd, caught 6 balls for 74 yards in his debut with the Rams. But even with adding him to their roster, it wasn’t enough to beat the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys just came out at the beginning of the game and played true American football. They forced the Rams on a three and out and then scored on a 91-yard touchdown run by DeMarco Murray. The Rams lost again, 34-7, putting them at a 0-6 record. The Rams take on the New Orleans Saints next, while the Cowboys, now 3-2, play division rival Philadelphia Eagles.

Sports trivia:  An interesting coincidence occurred in the world of sports last weekend. Two teams from St. Louis (the football Rams and the baseball Cardinals) played against two Texas teams (the football Dallas Cowboys and the baseball Texas Rangers). It’s a piece of trivia St. Louis fans may want to forget, since both St. Louis teams lost to their Texas opponents.

The winless still 

The Indianapolis Colts lost again Sunday night, this time to the New Orleans Saints. It wasn’t much of a game, really. For the Saints, it was more like a contact practice and for the Colts … oh wait, the Colts didn’t even show up. The final score was New Orleans 62, Indianapolis 7, the biggest margin of loss by any team since the AFL-NFL merger. The Colts had just 252 total yards of offense, with 60 percent coming via the run. The Colts, now 0-7, take on division rival Tennessee Titans (who just had their butts handed to them by the Houston Texans, 41-7). And the Saints travel to St. Louis to take on the 0-6 Rams.

The Miami Dolphins lost a heartbreaker to the Denver Broncos. The Broncos rallied from a 6-point deficit at halftime and then overcame Miami’s three field goals in the second half to tie the game at 15, forcing overtime. The Dolphins started the overtime session with a three and out, and Denver responded by driving down the field, where they put all their trust in kicker Matt Painter to kick the game-winning 52-yard field goal. The Dolphins, now 0-6, go to New York to take on the 4-2 New York Giants. The 2-4 Broncos will host 4-2 Detroit Lions.

The undefeated

The Green Bay Packers played and defeated the Minnesota Vikings this last weekend. The Packers beat the Vikings 33-27. The Packers were led by Super Bowl MVP Aaron Rodgers’ 335-yard passing performance. Although it was the first career start for Minnesota’s Christian Ponder, he still did great for a rookie, with 219 passing yards. Ponder looked like an old pro – he has great accuracy and awareness of where everybody is on the field, and he stays in the pocket until he absolutely has to leave. Ponder is going to do great things for the Vikings this season and for many seasons to come. The Packers take a 7-0 record into a bye this week. As for the 1-6 Vikings, they play the 2-5 Panthers in Carolina.

Breast cancer awareness

This weekend is the last weekend for the pink tribute in the NFL, and many people love the recognition that the NFL gives to breast cancer. Most players who wear the pink have someone close to them who survived breast cancer or died from it. It’s very heart-warming that so many people recognize Breast Cancer Month. I’m glad so many people recognize it, but I would like to see even more people participate so we can help put an end to this dreadful cancer.

The winning picks

Last week wasn’t a good week for me; I went 7-5. That makes me 61-43 on the year. But I’m back with my picks again. The winners are in pink.

Arizona Cardinals @ Baltimore Ravens

Minnesota Vikings @ Carolina Panthers

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Houston Texans

Miami Dolphins @ New York Giants

New Orleans Saints @ St. Louis Rams

Indianapolis Colts @ Tennessee Titans

Detroit Lions @ Denver Broncos

Washington Redskins @ Buffalo Bills

Cincinnati Bengals @ Seattle Seahawks

Cleveland Browns @ San Francisco 49ers

New England Patriots @ Pittsburgh Steelers

Dallas Cowboys @Philadelphia Eagles

San Diego Chargers @ Kansas City Chiefs

Byes: Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Oakland Raiders, New York Jets and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Check back often to read Bergstrom’s weekly sports column.

2 Responses to “Bengals fans watch Carson stumble in Raiders’ uniform”

1. Matt Miller on November 2nd, 2011 7:14 am

Detroit wins again!

2. Dakota Miller on November 3rd, 2011 9:33 am

THESE are the times that try men’s souls. The summer Colts fan and the sunshine Colt will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their team; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of Manning and woman. Winless Seasons, like hell, are not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph of a first-round, first draft pick. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. The NFL knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as one win should not be highly rated. Every other team in the NFL, with an powerful offenses to enforce their tyranny, have declared that they have a right (not only to beat us) but “to CRUSH us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER” and if being bound in that manner, is not saddening, then is there not such a thing as sad things upon earth.

(Yes, I changed the words from the famous Thomas Paine piece.)

• Bengals fans watch Carson stumble in Raiders’ uniform

Photo Galleries

Varsity Football v. Hilliard Bradley

Sports

Girls Basketball team ready for big stage at Classic in the Country

Photo Galleries

Varsity Football v. Springfield

Photo Galleries

Varsity Football v. Centerville

Photo Galleries

Varsity Football v. Wayne

Photo Galleries

Cross Country Kettering Invite

Photo Galleries

Varsity Football v. West Carrollton

Photo Galleries

Varsity Football v. Miamisburg

Photo Galleries

Varsity Football v. Beavercreek

Sports

Volleyball player gains attention after impromptu National Anthem performance