Miller knocks down records on way to 13 varsity letters

Photo: Illustration by Sam Robison

Kaydee Miller dives, cheers (both competition and sideline) and pole vaults for Fairmont High School.

By Kelly Hart, Sports Editor

Being active in sports and clubs in high school always makes the experience a little more exciting. Success in those activities makes the experience all the more special. Senior Kaydee Miller, a standout athlete at Fairmont High School, knows all about excelling in more than one sport.

Miller is one of the few athletes at Fairmont who are involved in a sport in each season. In the fall, she can be seen cheering on the sideline of Varsity Football games. In the winter, she balances diving for the Varsity Swim team with participating in Competition Cheerleading. When spring arrives, Miller pole vaults for the Track & Field team. “Sports are my life,” said Miller. “I have tried just about every sport out there.”

Along with being one of the few who participate in athletics year round, Miller is going to be the first Fairmont athlete to graduate with 13 varsity letters. She lettered all four years in diving and track & field. “It’s pretty cool to say that I am the only person to really do that,” said Miller. “It’s nice to have all of my hard work throughout the years pay off.”

Over those four years, Miller has taken the saying “records are meant to be broken” to the next level. Her freshman year, she tied the school’s pole vault record of 9 feet, 6 inches. Her junior year, she broke that record by reaching a height of 10 feet. “I feel like I definitely have the potential to break it again,” said Miller. “That would really complete my senior year.”

Along with breaking the pole vault record, Miller placed first at Districts her sophomore and junior years and advanced to be a Regional qualifier. She also earned the Most Valuable Award in field events her junior year. Given all of her accomplishments in pole vault, some find it hard to believe that her freshman year was her first year to try the sport. Despite her lack of knowledge about pole vault, she was eager to seize the opportunity.

“Kaydee’s hallmark is that she is fearless,” said Head Dive Coach and Assistant Track & Field Coach Charles Greene. “Her fearlessness encouraged others to try new things, too.”

Miller topped another record in her high school career, this one in diving. Before she came along, the school record in the six-dive, one-meter board competition was a score of 214.35. This year, Miller not only broke the record with a score of 233.65, but then broke her own record with a 256.10. In addition, Miller was a three-year team captain, a three-year Sectional and District qualifier and earned the Most Outstanding Diver Award her sophomore and junior years. This year’s winner will be announced at the post-season banquet on March 7.

Miller decided to try pole-vaulting and diving her freshman year. A natural athlete, she had no trouble in either. She participated in gymnastics for 10 years and that helped her succeed in both sports. “I’ve always loved challenges,” said Miller. “So taking up new sports is always a blast.”

Also a successful Competition Cheerleader, Miller is captain of a National and State Competition stand-out team. When Miller was a junior, the Competition Cheerleading team brought home a state championship title. They also have placed in the top five at the National Competition in Florida for the past three years.

“Even though I didn’t start out as a cheerleader and didn’t really know what to expect, I am happy that I choose that path because it has been a really great experience,” said Miller.

Miller plans to continue her diving career at the University of Cincinnati. She also shares her knowledge of diving with the youth at Dayton Country Club, where she has coached for two years. “She will do well with diving at the university level,” said Greene. “She is a very determined, strong competitor and that will continue to help her succeed.”

Miller said she plans to continue to try different sports and maintain being an active athlete. “She is a great inspiration and motivational force to everyone around her,” said Greene. “She will be missed.”

One Response to “Miller knocks down records on way to 13 varsity letters”

1. Deirdre Humphrey on March 2nd, 2011 2:04 pm

Great article!

• Miller knocks down records on way to 13 varsity letters

Photo Galleries

Varsity Football v. Hilliard Bradley

Sports

Girls Basketball team ready for big stage at Classic in the Country

Photo Galleries

Varsity Football v. Springfield

Photo Galleries

Varsity Football v. Centerville

Photo Galleries

Varsity Football v. Wayne

Photo Galleries

Cross Country Kettering Invite

Photo Galleries

Varsity Football v. West Carrollton

Photo Galleries

Varsity Football v. Miamisburg

Photo Galleries

Varsity Football v. Beavercreek

Sports

Volleyball player gains attention after impromptu National Anthem performance