Aracri’s ready to rock the football program

Photo: Morgan Holley

By Kelly Hart, Sports Editor

As Fairmont’s new head football coach, Andy Aracri is counting down the days until his team can take the field and beat Alter in August. “We’re going to come ready to work every day and do what it takes to win,” he said.

Athletic Director Brian Donoher confirmed April 22 that Aracri was Fairmont’s new coach. He replaces Brian Blevins, who resigned earlier this spring to take a coaching position at Wayne High School.

Aracri has been with the Firebird football program for nine years, most recently as an assistant coach and the defensive coordinator. “It feels unbelievable to be the head coach,” said Aracri. “It’s something that I’m excited about because I am a Firebird and Fairmont being a successful program is very important to me.”

Most students know Aracri as “Coach Rock,” the guy with the microphone at the pep rallies. He plans on using his spirited nature to get people eager to support the football program. “We need everyone to come excited to scream and yell,” said Aracri. “Overflowing stands and a student section that we will be remembered for are key.”

Donoher is pleased by Aracri’s selection and the enthusiasm he brings. “Coach Aracri heading the football program will be a positive thing for Fairmont,” he said.

Aracri is a Fairmont and Miami University grad and was signed as a free agent by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2001. He played for the British Columbia Lions and the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL and for the Los Angeles Avengers and the Cincinnati Swarm of the AFL.

In addition to coaching, Aracri is a health and physical education teacher at Fairmont.

Before he announced his resignation, Blevins had been a staple of the football program at Fairmont for seven years, compiling a 33-37 record and giving the school its first-ever playoff berth in 2008. He will remain in coaching as he is heading to Wayne High School to be the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach.