Roush Hall of Fame inducts three retired teachers

By Molly Becker, Features Editor

On Tuesday, May 18, three deserving educators were inducted into the Chester A. Roush Educational Hall of Fame. The ceremony was held in the Recital Hall at 7 p.m. The three teachers honored were Bill Jackson, Carl “Skip” Stiles and Sandra “Sandy” Lawson Stremel.

Bill Jackson received his bachelor’s degree from Indiana State Teachers College in Terre Haute in 1956. He continued his education at Indiana University, Miami University, The Ohio State University and the University of Dayton. Jackson taught at different schools in Indiana and Ohio before coming to Fairmont in 1962. He was named coordinator of the Cooperative Office Education (COE) program in 1965 and taught at Fairmont East until the two high schools consolidated in 1983. He taught at Kettering Fairmont High School until his retirement in 1986.

Carl “Skip” Stiles attended The Ohio State University in 1960-61, before transferring to Morehead State University, where he received his bachelor’s degree in 1966. In 1970, he received his master’s degree in education from Xavier University. Stiles taught at Wayne Local Schools and Lebanon City Schools before he started teaching at Southdale Elementary School in 1969. In 1984, he became a gifted teacher and then in 1991 he became the gifted education coordinator for the district. Then, in 1994 he assumed duties as principal at Moraine Meadows Elementary Schools, as well as being the gifted education coordinator. Stiles retired in 1999.

Sandy Lawson Stremel attended Miami University, Oxford, and graduated in 1971 with a bachelor’s degree in English education. She received her master’s degree in education from Wright State University in 1975. She taught at Mad River Schools before coming to Kettering to teach English at Van Buren Junior High (Now Van Buren Middle School.) In 2005, Stremel came to Fairmont High School, where she taught English until her retirement in 2008. Today, Stremel continues to sub for the Kettering City Schools.

2 Responses to “Roush Hall of Fame inducts three retired teachers”

1. Mrs. Borchers on June 2nd, 2010 11:36 am

Mrs. Stremel (aka the Strem) was one of my favorite teachers of all time plus she went to the greatest University in Ohio … Miami!

2. ela kakde on September 28th, 2011 11:52 pm

Ditto, Mrs. Stremel was/is a fantastic teacher — and I hope she considers getting on facebook so all her former students can tell her just how much she impacted their lives. This is coming from a kid that had her in 1989.