Fairmont students win Noon Optimist Contest

By Kevin O'Donnell, Academics/Administration Editor

Fairmont High School took home the gold, silver and bronze in the Kettering Noon Optimist Club’s essay contest this winter. Jakob Sager emerged triumphant, taking first place. Pasquale Toscano won second place and Brendalyn Perley was awarded third place. All the victors are Fairmont sophomores.

The participants discussed the issue, “The Internet: Today’s Evolution or Tomorrow’s Menace?” “Jakob did a wonderful job of articulating this year’s theme,” said Contest Chair Carrie Bray. “He explored the topic beyond his own experiences, which helped him win first place.”

Sager’s essay and the essays of other club-level winners will be sent to district level judges. The winner at the district level will ascend to the international level contest, where college scholarships are available for the top winners. Fairmont graduate Megan Downey won the district level competition last year.

All participants received medals, certificates and other prizes for writing in the competition. “We are thrilled that over 100 local students have participated in our essay contest for several years now,” said Noon Optimist Club President Sondra Vearn. The club has been offering the contest to local teens for more than 16 years.