Marketing Program and Farley bring home gold, silver and a vice president

By Kevin O'Donnell, Academic/Administration Editor

At the Ohio DECA Fall Delegates Conference on Nov. 3, senior Sophie Farley was elected the DECA Southwest Ohio Vice President. Farley beat out three other candidates from Centerville High School, Sycamore High School and Milford High School. Fairmont Marketing teacher Robin Holweger said Farley’s achievement is “a huge honor.”

The election process consisted of a screening, a test and a short speech followed by 30 minutes of campaigning. Farley and her campaign team of Fairmont students worked to convince the 75 voters with signs, cheers and campaign buttons.

“It was the most nerve-wracking 30 minutes of my life,” said Farley, who is excited to start her new position. “One of my plans is to create a new position of a DECA district representative to increase communication. This will also give more kids a chance to be in a leadership position.”

Meanwhile, three Fairmont Marketing Program students placed in the 2009 DECA Fall Contest on Oct. 17. Senior Christina Olgiate captured 1st place in Parliamentary Procedures, Madeline Lehrner (an Oakwood student in Fairmont’s program) took 2nd place in Female Public Relations, and senior Anthony Ganz-Sarto secured 2nd place in Male Public Relations. These students qualified for the Nov. 3 state contest, where Lehrner and Ganz-Sarto placed 2nd in their respective categories.

Also at the Oct. 17 contest, seniors Sophie Farley and Sarah Scott placed with distinction in Female Public Relations. Forty other Fairmont students competed solely for the experience, and 11 of those placed in the categories of Sales Demonstration, Marketing Math, Job Interviews and Public Speaking. The victorious students were seniors McKenzi Bell, Thom Bergman, Erin Dittoe, Tyler Erwin, Jared Lane, Nikki Leston, Adam Nooe, David Sprowl, Adam Thompson and juniors Conner Darnell and Libby Ganz-Sarto. “This is a way for kids to get their feet wet in the job market,” said Marketing teacher Robin Holweger.