A new season brings new coaches

Photo: Amanda Feairheller

By Kelly Hart, Sports Editor

As Firebird athletes are working hard this new season, so are the coaches. This year, there are some new faces on the sidelines.

Steve Hippenmeyer, previously the Cross Country coach, has transferred to Boys’ Golf. He made this switch because Tyler Alexander became the South Unit principal. Because Alexander isn’t allowed to coach and be a principal at the same time, he will no longer coach Boys’ Golf or Girls’ Basketball. Pat Miller and Angelo Mastro are the new Cross Country coaches.

Varsity Football added three new coaches to their staff. Dan Graham is the offensive line assistant, Stephen McDonald is the defensive back and special teams coach, and Dick Hoppe is the linebacker and co-defensive coordinator.

Junior football player Victor Scarpelli seems to think the coaches are a good addition to the team. “Coach McDonald seems to know his stuff and thinks the same way we do,” said Scarpelli.

A few coaching changes also took place in cheerleading. Carrie Kihn is the new head cheer adviser. Previous cheer adviser Tammy Kozarec is now coaching Competition cheer. Jen Stone, who was the middle school Competition coach, now coaches the Freshman Football cheerleaders.

Not only has the varsity teams made some changes, even the JV level made some adjustments. There is now a JV Girls’ Golf program run by Jenny Fiden, and JV Boys’ Soccer is now being led by Roger Downing.

The new changes seem to be working out well all around. “We feel fortunate for our great coaching staff,” said Athletic Director Brian Donoher. “We would like to continue our tradition of success.”

3 Responses to “A new season brings new coaches”

1. Dexter Carpenter on September 25th, 2009 9:35 am

This was really well-written, Kelly Hart. Nice!

2. Kevin O'Donnell on October 1st, 2009 10:39 pm

Nice article, Kelly :)

3. Wesley Qualls on November 16th, 2009 2:15 pm

This was a really nice article; I really enjoyed it.

A new season brings new coaches