Students give back to the community by volunteering

Photo: Rylee Smith

Junior volunteers at SICSA get a tour of the building.

By Dayna Pittman, Staff Writer

Volunteer work is something that escapes many students’ minds during the course of the day. To some teens, however, volunteering is an integral part of life. These students find satisfaction by volunteering to help people or to improve the community.

Sophomore Davin Tackett is one of those students. He regularly volunteers for out-of -school projects through an organization called Kettering Youth Council. “I love doing volunteer work with KYC. Throughout the year, we do various service projects around Kettering,” said Tackett. “We’ve done a Halloween Carnival at Trails of Oak Creek in October. The goal is to host a fun thing for younger kids to do.”

Tackett volunteers elsewhere as well, working to improve the environment and help indigent children. “I also do Community Day of Service, where we wash cars and build things for children in need,” he said. “For instance, one year we built desks and assembled school supplies so children could have things and a place to do homework. We’ve also participated in Relay for Life – a campout at Delco Park to raise money for cancer research.”

Tackett admits, however, that he didn’t want to volunteer at first. “I actually never had an ‘I want to volunteer moment,’” said Tackett. “I was selected to be entered into the Kettering Youth Leadership Academy, a similar program to KYC, and because of that I learned about Kettering Youth Council. I went to a meeting, and three years later, I’m still going. I’m very happy for the chance that I got.”

Tackett, though, isn’t the only student who is active in helping the community. For instance, sophomore Mallory Yount, a member of the Octagon Club, volunteers through her club.

“Octagon Club is an organization where we basically volunteer and help people in our neighborhoods and schools. We raise money for charity and pretty much help people the best we can,” she said. “We volunteer at shelters, soup kitchens – pretty much anywhere in need of help.”

Karla Mabrey, a Fairmont teacher and the person in charge of Octagon Club, loves that her students are so actively engaged in volunteering. “A lot of the members are so involved it’s hard for them to do activities that they want to do,” said Mabrey. “That’s why most of the work we do is in school, such as recycling. If we do out-of-school work, getting people transportation is really an issue.”

Despite the obstacles that volunteer work sometimes brings, Yount still enjoys helping people in her community. “I signed up to volunteer at St. Vincent de Paul but the event got canceled since only two or three people signed up. I’ve also sold turkey grams,” she said. “In addition, we sold links for a dollar, and hung them up in the West unit lobby. The money went to a Cystic Fibrosis foundation.”

Tackett enjoys volunteering and believes that what his group does makes others happy, too. “People are always very happy with our work. This is especially notable at the Halloween Carnival,” he said.

Yount also feels recipients are grateful for her group’s volunteering efforts. She also believes that volunteering is a lot easier when members work on activities with one another instead of working alone.

“We are allowed to work together and be in groups,” she said. “Ms. Mabry posts a sign-up sheet for certain activities and members of the club sign up if they wish to. I think that any help we do is appreciated. If there are more people, more work gets done.”  

Fairmont’s Octagon Club has 35 members, but not all of them can participate in all activities. “Some of them just don’t have the time,” Mabrey said. “We try to offer incentives for everyone to help, including doing advisory rewards.”