Swift speaks to many of us in ‘Speak Now’

By By Jessica Wuensch, Staff Writer

Taylor Swift’s third album, Speak Now, is aptly named, seeing as Swift does just that, singing songs about everything from her love life to the incident with Kanye West at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards. There are numerous “classic” Swift tracks, such as Mean and Better Than Revenge, where she takes shots at past boyfriends, but we also get to see a new side of Swift when she takes the blame in Back to December. Speak Now shows the transition of Swift from a teen queen to a more mature, adult songwriter.

Most of the tracks on Speak Now are love songs about fairytale romances or crushing heartbreaks, but she slows down on Innocent to achieve some closure from the Kanye West incident at the Sept. 13, 2009, MTV Video Music Awards. While Swift was accepting her Female Video of the Year trophy, West interjected, saying Beyoncé’s video deserved to win instead of Swift’s. In Innocent, Swift sings, “Time turns flames to embers, you’ll have new Septembers, every one of us has messed up, too,” essentially letting West know that she understands that everyone makes mistakes, and she has forgiven him.

In Back to December, Swift is the one looking for forgiveness, singing, “So this is me swallowing my pride standing in front of you saying I’m sorry for that night.” It is rumored to be about Swift’s relationship with Taylor Lautner, a relationship that she regrets ending, saying, “I go back to December turn around and make it all right … I go back to December turn around and change my own mind.”

Junior Lexi Fannin likes the new approach Swift takes on Speak Now. Fannin also  notices the maturity in Swift’s voice. “The songs are different than what she usually sings,” said Fannin. “I love it.”

Fannin’s favorite song, the title track Speak Now, has a very “fun and carefree” feeling to it, but also a sarcastic quality, comparing a bridesmaid’s dress to “a gown shaped like a pastry” and the wedding march to “a song that sounds like a death march.” It’s the little details such as these, that when combined with the bigger idea of Swift’s dream man leaving the wrong woman at the altar to be with Swift, puts together a relatable daydream for girls everywhere. “I like how Swift represents everybody. She says what everyone is feeling but too afraid to say,” said Fannin.

However, the Taylor Swift phenomenon isn’t for everyone. Junior Sophie Stockum isn’t a fan of her music. “I think she’s overrated,” Stockum said, “and she doesn’t live up to the hype.”

But Stockum can see how she’s gotten so popular. “She’s probably a sweet girl, and she has OK voice ,which is why I think so many people like her. But for the music industry, she’s completely mediocre,” said Stockum.

Obviously, I’m one of those people who like Swift. Actually, what I feel for Taylor Swift is probably better categorized as an obsession. I love that I can find a Swift song for almost any mood I’m in, especially with the new additions from Speak Now.

Senior Brandon Fannin, Lexi’s brother, agrees. “I’m never not in the mood for Taylor Swift.”

Yes, that’s right … men listen to Swift, too. “Swift’s music makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside,” said Brandon Fannin.

And I would just like to say to all those boys out there who have yet to embrace all that Swift has to offer: Give it a chance. I know everyone has moments after meeting someone new when they feel Enchanted, just like Swift does on track nine, “praying that this was the very first page not where the story line ends.”

Swift has come a long way from the cowboy boot-wearing country girl that she started as. She has matured vocally and lyrically and is beginning her journey into adulthood, a journey that I hope will lead to another album that so perfectly portrays and articulates the trials and tribulations facing those of us who can’t write lyrics or guitar chords to a song to save our lives.

13 Responses to “Swift speaks to many of us in ‘Speak Now’”

1. Rachel Sheidler on January 28th, 2011 7:40 am

I love Taylor Swift!

2. Kelsie Wheeler on January 28th, 2011 11:20 am

Taylor Swift is mighty gifted considering she writes a good portion of her own songs. They are very relatable, even for guys. The songs on this CD are much deeper than the other CDs out now. I also love her … way to go, Rachel, for agreeing!!!!!

3. Adam Wolfe on January 29th, 2011 4:53 pm

Sometimes I hate to admit it, but I, too, agree with Brandon. I love Taylor Swift’s music.

Brandon Fannin Reply:

I know!! However, I don’t hate to admit it anymore. I have become secure enough accept it and be proud of my love for Tswift.

4. Niki Israel on February 1st, 2011 10:32 pm

I like her songs, sometimes. I’m glad she writes from her heart and all, but I have to say she isn’t the best of singers and her voice is a little too pitchy for my likings. I say this because if you youtube her live performances, they don’t sound very good at all. Also, from many other sources, she seems to suck live at concerts.

Alyssa Arriola Reply:

Preach!

5. Kelly Hart on February 4th, 2011 10:37 am

I love me some TSwift! My favorite song on Speak Now is Enchanted for sure.

6. Madison Reece on February 7th, 2011 12:12 pm

Taylor Swift is my idol. I love her dearly! She knows my life and makes me feel so special! She’s gorgeous and beautiful and I LOVE her sooooooo much (; <3333

7. Aleasiah Howard on February 7th, 2011 8:06 pm

Taylor swift is beautiful. I love her; I don’t know where I’d be without her. She is so amazing; I can’t get enough of her. I wish I could meet her and talk to her about my life and problems because she understands them so well <3 I love that girl so much.

Olivia Puterbaugh Reply:

I love you, Aleasiah. Great comment.

8. Skylor Faris on February 9th, 2011 9:28 am

I love Taylor Swift SOO MUCH!!

9. Alex Shumard on February 10th, 2011 2:33 pm

I like Taylor Swift because she writes her own songs, but I think all of her songs being about love kind of gets annoying. I still think she is talented, though, and very pretty!

10. Destre Inlow on February 17th, 2011 2:38 pm

I will admit that Taylor has a knack for songwriting, but I think her constant obsession with fairytale romances that very few people truly experience are biasing everyone’s view of being in a relationship. I think that vocally and lyrically she has a lot of growing up to do and maybe, in another 2 or 3 albums or so, she’ll hit the point where she can be considered an artist. For right now, her appeal to teenagers will be enough to keep her popular. My favorite song that I’ve heard from “Speak Now” is “Innocent.”

• Swift speaks to many of us in ‘Speak Now’

CD Reviews

Shawn Mendes’ new album doesn’t meet Handwritten standards

CD Reviews

King Kendrick still reigns with new surprise release

CD Reviews

Eminem and all-star features rock the hip-hop realm with double-disc release

CD Reviews

Pentatonix’s ‘Vol. 2’ provides further proof of group’s range and depth

Audio

Let Mayer’s latest CD transport you to ‘Paradise’

Audio

Blood on the Dance Floor’s latest encourages people to ‘evolve’

Audio

‘Sunflower’ blooms with sweet music but uneven lyrics

CD Reviews

‘Amaryllis’ blooms in Shinedown’s top 10

CD Reviews

Robert Glasper Experiment crosses hip hop with jazz

CD Reviews

‘Red’ shows Swift is still relatable, but more mature