‘Alice in Wonderland’ is a mistake of a remake

By Justin Miles, Entertainment Editor

“I’ve been considering things starting with the letter M”: magnificent, marvelous, magical, merry, majestic, meritorious. Johnny Depp seems to be fascinated with M words and constantly repeats this line in Alice in Wonderland while playing the Mad Hatter. Yet, none of these M words seem to describe the movie.

The only good thought I had coming out of the movie was that it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. Now I will admit, I thought it would be one of the worst movies I had ever seen, but early in life I learned that some of my favorite movies were the ones I thought would be terrible. So I tried to keep an open mind and I was waiting to be surprised; unfortunately, I’m still waiting.

However, it’s the first movie in 2010 to gross more than $200 million, so I can only assume that people are still fascinated with the new line of 3-D movies that are out, as well as it being a remake of a children’s movie. But the 3-D aspect of Alice in Wonderland is unnecessary and in my opinion makes the movie worse. Also, it’s not a children’s movie anymore and at many times it’s actually a little disturbing; I know of adults who are creeped out just by the previews.

Alice, Mia Wasikowska, is proposed to and runs away to escape only to find herself falling in the rabbit hole to bring her to Wonderland. The Mad Hatter finds her eventually and asks for her help in defeating the Red Queen, who has brought evil times upon Wonderland and stolen the crown.

In the children’s movie, Alice is just an average little girl, but in the new movie she seems rather eerie and bizarre. Wasikowska does a good job of capturing the weirdness of Wonderland, but I’m not sure that it’s a good thing. Had she appeared normal or even acted normal for a while, it would’ve brought tremendous balance to the film that it otherwise lacked.

The overall theme of the movie is to believe in the impossible and follow your dreams. In my opinion, it’s great for a blockbuster movie to have a theme; the only problem is that when I walked out of the theater, my impression wasn’t one of optimism and hope but just of how strange the movie was. It wasn’t until I sat down and thought about the movie that the theme showed its true colors.

Also, something that still boggles me is that I can not place Alice in Wonderland in a genre. It isn’t a children’s movie or a comedy or an action flick or even a psychedelic drama, though that’s the closest I can come. I can honestly say that I do not recommend this movie to anyone. If you’re a fan of the original, you won’t be impressed. If you’re a fan of the recent blockbuster 3-D movies, you won’t be impressed. However, if you like a whole lot of nonsense without a good storyline, you may just enjoy this remake of what could have been a great movie.

9 Responses to “‘Alice in Wonderland’ is a mistake of a remake”

1. Natalie Wolfe on March 22nd, 2010 7:45 pm

Tim Burton makes everything creepy.

Harmony Vick Reply:

Eh, Tim Burton’s the best director ever, in my opinion. Everyone in that movie did a great job, including my favorite actor, Johnny Depp. It’s not supposed to be a remake either. It’s what happens when Alice comes back to Wonderland. You really can’t diss it that much.

2. Katie Davies on April 1st, 2010 3:46 pm

Quite frankly this person doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Not only was the movie (well, in my opinion) amazing, the writer doesn’t even know who’s in it!

“… asks for her help in defeating the Red Queen, Helena Carter …”

Who is this Helena Carter person? The Red Queen was played by the amazingly talented Helena BONHAM Carter … it’s her full surname (Bonham Carter), so the Bonham shouldn’t be missed out.

Yes, I know I’m being pedantic, but when someone is putting down a very good movie and gets the actors’ names wrong, well, it just rids them of all their crediblily in being able to write a review!

The 3D has also vastly improved in just a few years, and Tim Burton remains my favourite director with his chilling ability to hit your very soul! :)

3. Ellie Aguirre on April 4th, 2010 7:54 pm

I haven’t seen this movie yet, but it is not necessarily a remake. It is a twist from the books “Through the Looking Glass” and “What Alice Found There” by Lewis Carroll. Those two books are occurring after the “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” novel. Also, if people are freaked out about the previews, don’t go to watch the movie. But nonetheless, this is not a remake; if you were expecting it to be the same as the first “Alice in Wonderland” movie, no wonder you are disappointed.

4. Gary McKenzie on April 5th, 2010 10:16 am

Wow. This is the second review I strongly disagree with. This movie IS NOT a remake. If you have truly seen the movie, you would know that technically speaking it is a sequel. In any case, Tim Burton did an amazing job on this movie. Sure, the 3-D could be better and some acting is average, but the movie is fantastic. I thought this movie was great, and I think that the people who do reviews on “Fairmont Flyer” need a eye opener. You guys reveiw movies terribley. I bet a lot of people would agree with me as well.

Matt Metzler Reply:

Regardless of whether this movie is a remake or a sequel or neither or both, opinions offered in reviews are subjective. Suggesting that an entire publication “reviews movies terribly” (and implying that the reviewer didn’t actually see the movie) because you disagree with the content of a couple reviews seems a little irrational. With this movie getting such high ratings from other critics, I welcome reading a review that looks at it in a different light and asks whether its overwhelming “weirdness” actually detracts from the experience instead of enhancing Lewis Carroll’s original vision.

Justin Miles Reply:

After three or four posts, I’d like to say that the children’s movie and Tim Burton’s new movie aren’t the only Alice in Wonderland movies around. If you go to any kids section at any video store, you will see about ten movies about Alice in Wonderland; believe me, this story is not new and it is a remake.

Harmony Vick Reply:

Alright, if it’s a remake, then what’s it made off of? I’ve never seen anything close to this in stores, personally. The “Alive in Wonderland” Disney movie was nothing like this. Why do you think the Hatter says, “Oh, Alice, you’re back!” It is when she returns to Wonderland, a few years later. It even shows in the new movie her past, the first time she went there. It’s not a remake, of that I’m pretty sure. =/

Gary McKenzie Reply:

This isn’t a remake. Please, show me one movie that is an exact plot of Alice going back to Wonderland!!