Change it up for your next meal with Tandoori chicken

By Kyle Ratliff, News Editor

Have you ever gotten so bored with your monotonous daily schedule that there’s no way you can eat another meat loaf or hamburger? There is a remedy to this problem: Try something new! Have a dish you’ve never tried before and watch a really good film that goes along with it. What better combination than a duo from everyone’s favorite subcontinent, India: Tandoori Chicken and Slumdog Millionaire.

Everyone who has seen “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” knows you have to be extremely smart to have a chance. So you can imagine the surprise of Indian police when Jamal Malik, an 18-year-old orphan from one of the most impoverished areas of India, is one question from winning it all. That’s the plot of Slumdog Millionaire, which is based on a true story.

When the show breaks for the night with Malik on the million dollar question, he is arrested under suspicion of cheating. Malik is then forced to tell the story of his life and, as it unfolds, you begin to understand that each experience holds an answer to a question on the show.

As for the dish, Tandoori is a common Indian dish that has been enjoyed by both Richard Nixon and John Kennedy. Although the dish was initially named for the clay oven or tandoor it was cooked in, it can be cooked over a conventional grill. One of these recipes is as follows:

Ingredients
1 (3 pound) chicken, cut into serving pieces, skinned and trimmed of fat
½ cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon curry powder
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons salt
Slices of cucumber and tomato for garnish.

Preparation
1. Prick the chicken with a fork all over and then slash the skin with a sharp knife to allow the marinade to soak in.
2. Combine the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, turmeric, cayenne pepper, curry powder, black pepper and salt and stir until well mixed.
3. Pour mixture over chicken and rub into flesh, cover and refrigerate overnight or about 8 hours. Remove chicken from fridge about 30 minutes before cooking
4. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees, place chicken in roasting pan on rack brush with oil and cook. Turn once after 25 or 30 minutes, cook until juices run clear after being pierced near a bone.
5. Garnish with slices of tomato and cucumber and serve.

Serves four people

Recipe from homecooking.about.com