‘Big Whiskey’ mixes genres

By Kevin O'Donnell, Staff Writer

4stars

If you thought the Dave Matthews Band was done after the tragic death of their saxophone player, Leroi Moore, you have another thing coming. The new DMB album, Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King, seems to fit into more genres than possible in popular music.

After a beautiful sax tribute showing the band’s jazzy side, DMB shakes you with Shake Me Like a Monkey, a punchy, sexy, rock tune that sets the mood for the rest of the album. The radio hits, Funny the Way It Is and Why I Am, mix the band’s old style with a new vibe unique to this album, but the latter got on my nerves pretty quickly.

The New Orleans influence is clear on tracks like Alligator Pie and Spaceman, and especially on Squirm, which has a mysterious vaudeville feel. With edgy tracks like Seven, there is little doubt that this is a rock album, but Matthews shows a softer side familiar to many fans. My Baby Blue, an acoustic beauty, makes for a perfect prelude to the final track, You and Me (which was probably the most annoying of all the songs).

Fans of Dave Matthews Band will not be disappointed by Big Whiskey. The album has something for any music lover, whether it’s distortion driven or bluesy tunes from down South or the slow acoustic ballads that Dave Matthews is known for.

Even with the loss of a founding member, their musicianship and creativity is as strong as ever. DMB even considers it their best album yet. I’ll leave that decision up to you.