Fairmont Unveils 1st Annual Firebird Commitment Day for Future Collegiate Athletes

By Brittney Caupp, Fairmont Life Editor

Fairmont High School’s Marketing Tech Prep program will sponsor the First Annual Firebird Commitment Day to recognize the Class of 2017 student athletes who have committed to play at the collegiate level.  This school-wide event will be held on Thursday, May 18th in Trent Arena from 2:35 p.m. to 3:05 p.m. All Fairmont high school students and staff members will be at the event to celebrate these student athletes. All parents, former and current coaches, friends, and families are also invited to join in the celebration.

This idea came from the Career Tech Marketing program and specifically from a group of senior marketing students who are all athletes at the school and many also took the Sports Marketing business elective course. They posed this possibility and received approval from Fairmont’s Academic Council, including the athletic director Chris Weaver, and our Principal, Tyler Alexander. Only about 3% of high school athletes go on to compete as a collegiate athlete, we feel this school wide assembly will be a worthy event.  These commits have played as Firebirds and represented our school and community on and off the court, field, track, pool, etc.  Marketing students also felt that it could serve as motivation to the underclassmen to work hard in school and in their sport so they too can have an opportunity to play collegiate athletics in their future.

There will be a permanent Firebird Commit board listing all of the athletes, their sport and their university that will hang in the Fairmont Athletic Lobby along with the Fairmont Record Boards.  This event is the first of its kind in the area, and Fairmont High School is hoping to create a new and lasting tradition of celebrating our collegiate commits.