Bowlers heading to State hope coach comes home bald

By Rob Bowling, Staff Writer

Fairmont High School Boys’ Bowling Head Coach Rex Wolfe had the best shave of his life on Feb. 28 at the 2011 District Championship at Eastern Lanes in Middletown. That’s because Wolfe agreed to shave his decade-old goatee if his bowlers qualified for the Ohio State University Buckeye Classic tournament.

The boys won the overall battle among five teams by 103 pins, with a final score of 4,567. Wolfe dashed to the restroom with scissors and razor in hand.

The win was part of a successful 8-1 season for the Varsity boys, who hold the highest team average of 1064.3 per game in the GWOC competition. Their teammates in Junior Varsity have also been adding to the vibe with their 9-1 season record. Two Varsity bowlers stood out in particular: junior Zach Grubb bowled a 724 and junior Ryan Wolfe scored a 698.

Wolfe believes last year’s loss at Districts gave the boys more drive to make it to State this year for a shot at the title. The Varsity boys will make the journey to Columbus on Saturday, March 5, to knock pins against 30 other teams from across the state.

Coach Wolfe could return to Kettering with a bald head, holding true to his promise to shave his hair if the bowlers come back from Columbus with a State Championship trophy.