Renovation forces Swim and Dive team from their pool

Photo: Jessica Wuensch

The Kettering Recreation Complex pool is off limits to everyone while renovations take place.

By Kelly Hart, Sports Editor

The Fairmont Swim and Dive team is practicing and competing in unfamiliar waters this winter season because of the renovations taking place at the team’s home pool at the Kettering Recreation Complex.

The closing of the Kettering pool forced the Firebirds to move their meets and practices to Trotwood-Madison High School, which is about a half-hour drive away. “The pool at Trotwood is really nice, but the drive is annoying,” said senior swimmer Ian Brittain-Mynes.

The team has been having practices earlier than usual due to the longer drive. The swim team can be found practicing at 5 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays. “Some days I like getting up early and getting a good start to my day, but other days I really want to sleep in because I know I have a long day ahead of me,” said Brittain-Mynes.

The team is dealing with the changes as best as they can, but Trotwood-Madison just doesn’t seem like home. “It’s been weird this year practicing at Trotwood,” said senior swimmer Kate Hufnagle. “I’m not a big fan of having our senior night there. It won’t be the same.”

The transition, however, has not put a halt in junior swimmer Natalie Rohr’s actions. Rohr is currently ranked first in the GWOC in the 100-yard backstroke and second in the 50-yard free style and the 100-yard free style.

Renovations at the Rec

The remodeling of the Kettering Recreation Complex pool will include getting rid of the air-supported dome-like roof for a mechanical retracting roof. Also, the surrounding deck of the pool will be expanded. The outdoor water park is also undergoing remodeling that will make it more accessible to people. New slides, pools and many other water-filled areas will be added to the water park. 

In addition, the Fitness Center at the KRC is being moved to an addition that will be located on the hill bordering the right side of the water park. They’re also adding a multipurpose and cardio room with wood floors, locker rooms and changing rooms with showers, and they’ve relocated the nursery to a branch off of the main lobby.

These changes were inspired by surveys that Kettering residents submitted. “Our main focus is always to provide better service to the residents,” said Sonja Rom, the Facility Manager at the KRC, which is part of the City of Kettering Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Department. “The goal is better facilities and better community service.”

The renovations are also affecting the Wellness Center at Trent Arena. Since the Fitness Center at the KRC is currently closed, the Wellness Center is being swarmed with people working out. Personal trainer Barry McCune has noticed an increase of residents in the weight room and on the track. “It’s been a little congested with people from the Kettering Rec, but it hasn’t caused any problems,” said McCune.

The new Kettering Recreation Complex pool is set to reopen June 3, just in time for the summer season, and the rest of the renovations are due to be finished by July 5.